The Akwa Ibom State Governorship Elections Petitions Tribunal resumed sitting today at FULGA street, Uyo.
The Tribunal had adjourned proceedings to today to enable Parties’ Counsel adopt their Final Written Addresses in the Petition.
It has been a hard-fought battle between the Petitioners and Respondents as both sides have engaged wits and Law to prove their cases before the Tribunal.
The Petitioners called a total of 46 witnesses while the 1st and 2nd Respondents called 31 in total. The 3rd Respondents (INEC) did not call any witness.
The case of the Petitioners is that the Governorship Election of March 9, 2019 and the declaration of the 1st Respondent (Governor Udom Emmanuel) did not accord with the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), INEC Guidelines/Regulations and Manual for Electoral Officers, 2019.
The Petitioners have led documentary evidence to show that the purported accreditation of voters across the State was not reflected on the voters registers by ticking the appropriate boxes as required by law. All the evidence of the Respondents witnesses under cross examination lend credence to this undisputed fact.
The Respondents had insisted that the declaration of Governor Udom Emmanuel was regular and urged the Tribunal to dismiss the Petition.
It is left to be seen which way the legal pendulum will swing.
- THE DEVELOPMENT OF NIGER DELTA: Sen. Akapbio Visits Nkpolu-Rumuigbo Junction.
- Just In: Police Nabs Serial Killer In Port Harcourt – Uyo East West Road
- Tantrums Of Politically Disorderly Persons, PDP
- Oil Producing Communities Appreciates President Muhammadu Buhari
- Kwara Governor, AbdulRazaq Appoints 26-Year-Old Corps Member As Commissioner